Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

Endless Summer Book Review


Author: Jennifer Echols

Publisher: Simon Pulse

Paperback: 624


Summary from Book:

Two irresistible boys. One unforgettable summer.
Lori can’t wait for her summer at the lake. She loves wakeboarding and hanging with her friends--including the two hotties next door. With the Vader brothers, she's always been just one of the guys. Now that she’s turning sixteen, she wants to be seen as one of the girls, especially in the eyes of Sean, the older brother. But that’s not going to happen--not if the younger brother, Adam, can help it.
Lori plans to make Sean jealous by spending time with Adam. Adam has plans of his own for Lori. As the air heats up, so does this love triangle. Will Lori’s romantic summer melt into one hot mess?

My Thoughts:
Plot: 4
Characters: 4
Cover: 4
Overall: 4


First I'll explain that this book also includes "The Boys Next Door" which is the first part of the story and then continue's into the seqeal Endless Summer.  I'm very happy I discovered this book when Jennifer Echols came out with the sequel  and made both books into one, that way I didn't have to go out and buy both books and was able to just continue reading when I was done the first part.


The Boys Next Door/Endless Summer was a perfect summer read.  I found it to be a very relaxing book, nothing complicated. Compared to Echols other two books, Going Too Far and Forgetting You, this book was more simple as it focused more on young relationships and didn't involve serious events. The first part, The Boys Next Door, finds Lori plotting to get older Vader brother, Shawn, who she has had a crush on basically all her life to like her back. Lori's plots aren't always the best but she is a very likeable and relatable character who is very persistent on getting Shawn to like her and see her differently.  She grew up being one of the guys but doesn't want to be seen as that child anymore. One of her main plots is pretending to date Shawn’s younger brother Adam who is her own age. He agrees to go along with her plan also in hopes to make his ex girlfriend Rachel jealous. I'm not going to go into too much detail because I'd be giving away the story but it was definitely worth reading.  Like I said, nothing complicated, a relaxing read for the summer that deals with young romance, funny and awkward situations and...hot boys.  Who doesn't love hot boys?


I really did enjoy the characters in this book.  Lori is just funny. Her plots can become stupid but you got to give her credit for trying.  I mean, I say they're stupid plots but if it were me I probably would have come up with an even more ridiculous plot that probably wouldn't have even made sense ha ha.  Although, knowing my luck it would have blown up in my face from the beginning. Lori had me laughing quite a few times throughout the story. And Adam? Well Adam was just adorable, I loved him. Growing up he was always picked on by his brothers, especially Shawn.  Some of their jokes would involve the fact Adam has ADHD which really annoyed Adam but he handles himself pretty well. Then there's Shawn, who I liked and disliked throughout the story. He's a nice guy when he wanted to be and other times just full of himself. Although fool of himself Shawn does show a soft side...sometimes. Adam and Shawn's other brother Cameron is a good character as well, doesn't have a big role in the story but is funny and a good addition. Then you have Lori's older brother, McGillicuddy, who is protective of her and sticks up for his friends and family.




Endless Summer:


SPOILERS (if you haven't read the first part of the book "The Boys Next Door".


If there was going to be a continuation to The Boys Next Door (which there obviously is) Endless Summer is perfect.  It continues a few weeks after The Boys Next Door left off. Lori, now having what she wants, gets it taken away from her pretty much right away after she stays out all night with a certain boy.  They fall asleep, lose track of time and then her dad forbids her from seeing this boy.  Now Lori must find a way to change her dad's mind.  Yes, more plots and I'm sure you can just imagine the type of plots she comes up with.  It's a fun story that kept me reading until the end.


Overall I really enjoyed this story and I recommend it, I don't think you will be disappointed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment